“On the Etch” is an event which provides a platform to students who are passionate about metallurgy and material sciences to present their metallographic skills. Not only metallographic skills but also the practical thinking and logical reasoning ability of the participants will be tested in the competition.
The main objectives are as follows:
1. To test the metallographic skills of students for sample preparation.
2. To test the logical reasoning ability of students by observation of microstructure of metals and alloys.
3. To make students explore more about the metallic parts used in day-to-day life and in industry at large scale and to explore their microstructural features by thinking at the “Micro” level.
ROUND 1 :
It is a metallographic quiz which comprises of 40% weightage of total evaluation.
ROUND 2 :
This round consists of making and presentation of microstructure of the sample followed by small question answer session with judges. This round comprises of 60% weightage of total evaluation.
Scores will be calculated in the following manner:
Total score = (40% of Round 1 Score) + (60% of Round 2 Score)
Top 3 Teams with highest Total Scores will be considered as winners.
Team size: Max 2 participants per team
Registration fee: ₹ 99 per team
1. Display of Microphotograph (captured on Optical microscope/SEM/TEM) during presentation is mandatory. Participants failing to produce the microphotograph may be disqualified.
2. Fake micrographs will lead to disqualification of the team.
3. The sample must be strictly prepared by the participants. It is compulsory to carry the original mounted sample (prepared sample) along with the paper presentation. Participants may be asked to show the microstructure under the microscope on the day of the event.
4. The sample selected for microstructural observation should be mounted by either hot or cold mounting method. Both, cross section (radial in case of cylindrical specimen) and longitudinal section of the same sample must be mounted together. Only longitudinal section of the sample will be accepted. If the sample has very thin diameter i.e., less than 5 mm.
5. The microphotograph captured on either Optical Microscope OR Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) OR Transmission Electron microscope (TEM) is expected to be presented with following mandatory specifications:
a. The magnification or scale must be burnt into the micrograph.
b. The size of the printed microphotograph must be 200 mm 250 mm or A4 size.
c. The composition of the sample is to be presented along with the micrograph. If participants are unable to know the composition of their specimen sampled from an unknown component, they can refer the available research papers and literature regarding the component. If still they are unable to solve the problem, they are free to contact the event heads.
d. The typical features (advantages, disadvantages etc.) of the concerned microstructure.
e. Typical applications of the components having the concerned microstructure in industry.
f. A 1 or 2-page hand-out comprising of summary of the specimen preparation to introduce it to judges in least possible words.
g. The mount should comprise of the sample whose micrograph is captured.
6. Participants are expected to prepare a sample of any failed industrial component or any other metallic spare part which is readily available and free of cost. The metal objects which are generally used by us in day-to-day life will also be accepted. Ferrous alloys will be preferred for sampling. This change has specifically been made in the competition to develop practical approach towards sampling of specimens.
7. To give more clarification regarding the above-mentioned points, a small video will be released few days prior to the event which will help participants to apply the theoretical concepts about different microstructures in revealing the microstructures of the components used in practice. Date, timings, and more details about the session will be informed afterwards to the registered participants.
8. Micrographs are not allowed to be captured on the day of the event.
9. Presentation of photographs on laptops is not allowed. Only printed micrographs are allowed to be presented before the Judges. Also, they must be presented on half imperial sheets. No files will be allowed.
10. Participants should carry their college ID cards as a proof for identity on the day of the event along with the receipt of registration.
11. Decision made by the judges and organizers will be final and binding to all the participant teams in case of any tie.
12. Rules may be changed without prior intimation. Participants are expected to check the MindSpark’22 website (www.mind-spark.org) for the updates. In case of any small query or doubt, feel free to ask the event heads.
• If number of participants are less than 10 then only 2 winners will be selected.
• If number of participants are less than 5 then only 1 winner will be selected.
• If number of participants are less than or equal to 3 then event will be cancelled.
Q. What is the team structure?
A. A team may consist of maximum 2 participants from any year, any branch and any institute. However, one person cannot be a part of two teams for the same event.
Q. Can I participate in other events at MindSpark’22?
A. You are allowed to participate in as many events at MindSpark’22 as long as you are able to manage your own schedule.
Q. Who can participate in this event?
A. Anyone who is keen on testing their metallographic knowledge and wants to demonstrate their skills regarding the same are welcome to participate.
Q. Do team members have to be from the same college?
A. No, team members can be from any year, any branch and any institution. However, one person cannot be a part of two teams for the same event.
Q. I don’t know how to make a microstructure or use any microscope. Can I still participate?
A. Yes, you can participate. Event organizers will release a small video about it, the time and venue for which will be communicated by them.
To participate in the event click on the Register Button.
If you have any queries regarding this event feel free to contact following :
+91 88052 33173
+91 88304 76945